Thursday, August 26, 2010

accepting gifts

i'm sitting here in BC, experiencing the amazing and beautiful West coast for my first time. i have strolled through forests filled with ancient trees, i have watched dolphins swim and dive, and i can see the mountains from where i shower. i have walked through massive shopping centres, ate on a strip where celebrities usually frequent, and watched a concert merely feet away from the entertainer, beating 20,000 other people to the spot. definitely a ridiculously sweet way to top off my already amazing summer.

now, on my current income, there is absolutely no way that i would be able to pay for any of this on my own. i was invited to come here through a friend who has better connections than i do (sounds like mafia connections, but no, it's legit!). from airfare to the concert, most of this once-in-a-lifetime experience was given to me.

i was pretty hesitant to accept what was offered to me, with things like this you always have to wonder what sort of strings might be attached. and yes, i did consider saying no and heading back to my familiar corner of NW Ontario for my week off and saving myself from whatever i might be getting into. but you know what, i decided that there are decent people in the world that do good things 'just because', and so far, that's exactly what it has been.
i've been welcomed into a very hospitable home; people who go the extra mile to make someone feel relaxed and welcome. and really, it's inspiring to meet people who share what they have without hesitation.

yes, right now i'm still the poor college student/camp counselor who doesn't have the highest paying job. but you know, someday soon these days are going to be over and i'll be able give back what so many people have given to me. from rides to unreachable locations, nights in places that would have cost numbers in the three digits, and food the filled a very hungry stomach. gifts like those, definitely priceless. and someday, that will definitely be me who will be able to give such things.

hm, okay. this is starting to get a bit cheesy.

i missed a ferry to see my friend in Nanaimo (sp?), but i only have to wait 30 more minutes now.

hope you're enjoying the tail-end of your summer!

Kel

PS i'm sitting in front of the Pacific and surrounded by mountains. crazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment